The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has announced that the state of emergency currently in place in Rivers State will end on September 18, 2025.
Speaking shortly after exercising his voting rights during the local government elections in Rivers on Saturday, Wike said the expiration would allow the State House of Assembly to reconvene and resume legislative duties.
“As far as we are concerned, this election is peaceful, people are trooping out and at the end of the day the election has been conducted successfully and peacefully,” he said.
Highlighting what is to follow, Wike added: “I do know that by September 18, the state of emergency will expire and the state assembly will come back to their job and we will have a government at the grassroots level.”
The former Rivers governor maintained that both state and local government representations were now in place, making conditions favorable for ending the emergency.
He said: “The coast is clear for the state of emergency to be lifted, being that the state government has its representative and the local government has its representatives, so we are good to go.”
The emergency measure had been declared by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, leading to the suspension of Governor Siminalayi Fubara, his deputy, and the State Assembly for six months, in order to avert an escalating political crisis.
Frontpagenews.ng reports that analysts view the September deadline as a critical milestone in Rivers politics, potentially redefining governance in the oil-rich state.