No fewer than 19 people have been killed in a fresh wave of attacks on communities in Kwande Local Government Area (LGA) of Benue State, allegedly carried out by armed herders.
Brutal Attacks Leave Farmers Dead
The first attack occurred on Saturday, claiming 16 lives. According to reports, the victims were farmers from Mbandwa ward, who were returning to their community when they were ambushed along the Kashimbila road. The attackers reportedly slaughtered them and dumped their bodies into the River Katsina-Ala.
A local resident, who spoke to FRONTPAGE under anonymity for fear of reprisal, recounted the horror.
“The farmers were returning home when they were ambushed along the Kashimbila road and killed. Their bodies were dropped in River Katsina-Ala,” the source said.
On Monday afternoon, a second attack took place in Boaguwa, Kumakua council ward, where three more people lost their lives.
Mass Displacement as Residents Flee for Safety
The violence has forced hundreds of residents from surrounding communities to flee to Jato Acka in search of safety. However, there are growing concerns that even Jato Acka may not be secure from further attacks.
The President General of Mzough U Tiv Worldwide, Iorbee Ihagh, who leads three major socio-cultural groups (Mzough U Tiv, Ochiita K’Idoma, and Om’Ngede), confirmed the attacks. Speaking from Jato Acka, he described the situation as dire.
“I am right now in Jato Acka. I was told that 16 farmers were killed along the Kashimbila road at the weekend, and their bodies were thrown into the river. As I speak, armed herders have attacked Boaguwa in Kumakua council ward. Three dead bodies have been recovered.”
He further revealed that all six council wards in Turan, Kwande LGA, have been overrun by the attackers, leaving the communities completely deserted.
Calls for Military Intervention
Ihagh made a direct appeal to President Bola Tinubu to deploy additional troops to the area, warning that the region remains vulnerable to further attacks if urgent security reinforcements are not made.
Authorities Yet to Respond
Efforts to get official confirmation from Benue State security officials have so far been unsuccessful. The Special Adviser to the Governor on Internal Security, Joseph Har, directed inquiries to the Director General of Internal Security, Israel Gbawuam, but his phone was unreachable.
Similarly, attempts to reach the Benue State Police Command spokesperson, Catherine Anene, were unsuccessful, as she reportedly dropped the call when contacted.
With no immediate response from security agencies, the affected communities remain under siege, as residents struggle to cope with the growing humanitarian crisis triggered by the attacks.