The Ogun State Police Command has arrested four individuals in connection with the death of Suleiman Haruna, a 28-year-old man allegedly beaten to death by unknown commercial motorcycle riders in the Sabo area of Ijebu-Ode. The incident, which occurred on Sunday, caused widespread panic among residents. Following the attack, the victim’s body was reportedly taken away by unidentified persons.
Those apprehended in connection with the crime include Monsuru Bakasheri, Sulaiman, Shaibu Ibrahim, and Aliu Rabiu. While the motive for the attack remains unclear, some community members alleged that the perpetrators were of northern origin.
According to a local resident, Usman Zuberu, the incident occurred around 10 a.m. while the victim was attending a Maulud prayer session. Zuberu said that residents alerted the police when the unrest began. Officers from the Obalende Division responded swiftly, but by the time they arrived at the scene, the victim’s body had already been removed.
The Ogun State Police spokesperson, Odutola Omolola, confirmed the arrests and stated that efforts to recover the victim’s body were ongoing. She urged the community to remain calm and cooperative while investigations continued.
“In connection with the incident, four suspects—Monsuru Bakasheri, Sulaiman, Shaibu Ibrahim, and Aliu Rabiu—have been arrested and are currently being interrogated. These individuals are all adults, and their involvement is being thoroughly investigated,” Odutola said.
The police have intensified their search for the missing body and are keeping the area under close surveillance to prevent any further unrest. Odutola assured the public that updates on the case would be shared as new developments arise.
Although the community remains calm, local authorities have urged residents to exercise patience and maintain peace while the investigation proceeds.