The Ogun State Police Command has arrested four individuals in connection with the death of Suleiman Haruna, a 28-year-old man allegedly beaten to death by unidentified commercial motorcycle riders in the Sabo area of Ijebu-Ode. The incident, which occurred on Sunday, caused widespread panic among residents, particularly as the victim’s body was reportedly taken away by the suspected attackers.
The arrested individuals have been identified as Monsuru Bakasheri, Sulaiman, Shaibu Ibrahim, and Aliu Rabiu. The motive behind the attack remains unclear at this time, but reports suggest that the attackers may have been of northern origin, according to some residents.
A local resident, Usman Zuberu, told the police that the incident unfolded around 10 a.m. while Haruna was attending a Maulud prayer session. The police, alerted to the unrest, rushed to the scene but found that the victim’s body had already been removed by unknown individuals.
Police spokesperson Odutola Omolola confirmed the arrests and stated that efforts to recover the body and investigate the crime are ongoing. She reassured the public that the area is under close surveillance to prevent further unrest.
Odutola said, “In connection with the incident, four suspects, including Monsuru Bakasheri, Sulaiman, Shaibu Ibrahim, and Aliu Rabiu, have been apprehended and interrogated. All suspects are reported to be adults. An extensive search for the missing body has been launched, and the area is being closely monitored.”
The police are urging community members to remain calm and cooperate with law enforcement as investigations continue. Authorities have promised to keep the public updated on new developments related to the case.