Former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El‑Rufai was detained late Monday at the Abuja headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) following hours of interrogation over allegations of large-scale financial misconduct during his eight-year tenure.
El-Rufai, a senior figure in the African Democratic Congress, arrived at the EFCC’s Jabi office around 10 a.m. in response to an invitation. Investigators questioned him over findings contained in a 2024 report by the Kaduna State House of Assembly, which accused his administration of misappropriating loans, breaching procurement rules, and escalating the state’s debt profile.
A senior EFCC official said the probe had been ongoing for about a year, stressing that invitations are typically extended only after investigations reach an advanced stage. “He remains in our custody and will not be released today,” the official said late Monday.
EFCC spokesperson Dele Oyewale confirmed that El-Rufai honoured the invitation but declined to comment on the substance of the interrogation or next steps.
Assembly report alleges N423bn diversion
The interrogation is anchored on an ad-hoc committee report presented in 2024 by the Kaduna Assembly. The panel, chaired by Henry Zacharia, alleged that several loans obtained between 2015 and 2023 were not applied to their stated purposes.
Receiving the report, Speaker Yusuf Dahiru Leman alleged that about N423bn was siphoned, leaving Kaduna with heavy liabilities. Beyond the headline figure, the report cited disputed cash payments and contracts exceeding N155m, the alleged diversion of N1.37bn meant for a light-rail project, and purported laundering of N64.8m by senior aides.
El-Rufai has consistently denied wrongdoing, describing the probe as politically motivated and insisting that all borrowings were duly appropriated for infrastructure, education, healthcare and security.
Cybercrime charges over alleged phone interception
As financial questioning continued, the Federal Government filed criminal charges against El-Rufai at the Federal High Court, Abuja, over alleged unlawful interception of the phone communications of National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu.
The three-count charge—filed under the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024, and the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003—relates to comments El-Rufai made during an interview on Arise TV’s Prime Time programme on February 13, 2026, in which he suggested he became aware of a plan to arrest him through intercepted communications.
Prosecutors allege the remarks amount to an admission of unlawful interception and association with those who carried it out, acts said to undermine public safety and national security. No arraignment date had been fixed as of press time.
Reactions, protests, and DSS involvement
Monday’s developments sparked demonstrations in Abuja and Kaduna. In Abuja, protesters under the Mega National Movement for Good Governance gathered at the EFCC headquarters, calling for a thorough probe and insisting that no one is above the law. Pro-El-Rufai supporters also assembled nearby, demanding due process.
In Kaduna, civil society groups marched to the Assembly complex seeking updates on the legislative probe. Speaker Leman told protesters that the House stood by its findings and that anyone found culpable would face the law.
Investigators also confirmed that the Department of State Services (DSS) is examining related allegations, including claims connected to public statements and social media posts tied to unresolved disappearance cases.
Presidency responds
President Bola Tinubu, speaking during a visit to Yola on Monday, publicly praised Ribadu, describing him as “honest, bold and courageous” and vowing to intensify efforts against terrorism and banditry. The remarks followed El-Rufai’s recent allegations regarding security-related procurements—claims the Office of the National Security Adviser has denied and referred to the DSS.
What’s next
The convergence of EFCC detention, cybercrime charges, DSS inquiries and nationwide protests marks one of the most consequential legal and political showdowns involving a former governor in recent years. Whether the cases culminate in convictions or bolster claims of political persecution will be determined in court.
For now, El-Rufai remains in EFCC custody as Nigeria watches closely amid rising political tension ahead of the next election cycle.