The family of Mubarak Sanyaolu, a 14-year-old boy allegedly killed by a stray bullet on November 4, 2021, in the Meiran area of Lagos, is in mourning once again after the mysterious disappearance of his body from the Lagos Mainland Hospital mortuary. This tragic case has raised serious questions about the handling of the deceased’s remains, leading the family to demand justice and accountability from both the police and the mortuary officials.
Mubarak, an apprentice and secondary school student, was struck by a bullet fired by a police officer during an altercation involving tricycle riders protesting the alleged killing of one of their own over a bribe. The bullet, reportedly aimed at dispersing the crowd, struck Mubarak, fatally wounding him. He died instantly from the gunshot wound to his stomach.
The Police Investigation and the Missing Corpse
Following Mubarak’s death, the police placed the body in the mortuary for investigation, and the family had been patiently waiting for updates on the case. However, in a shocking turn of events, Mubarak’s father, Olamilekan, recently discovered that his son’s body had gone missing from the morgue.
According to Olamilekan, when he went to retrieve his son’s body for burial on January 16, 2024, he presented the required police clearance to the morgue. To his dismay, the morgue attendants informed him that the body was no longer there and suggested it may have been disposed of in a mass burial. “I am still trying to come to terms with the shocking news that my son’s body has gone missing from the morgue,” Olamilekan said in an emotional interview.
For three years, the family had waited for closure and the completion of the police investigation into Mubarak’s death. Yet, instead of receiving updates or the expected closure, they faced constant delays and empty promises. “When I finally decided to bury my son at my own expense, I was told that his body had been removed from the morgue and that it was likely buried in a mass grave. This is a body that was supposed to be under police investigation,” Olamilekan continued, expressing his confusion and grief over the disappearance of his son’s remains.
A Call for Justice and Accountability
The heartbreaking discovery has left Olamilekan reeling with grief, feeling as though his son had been taken away from him a second time. His call for justice is clear: he wants answers. “The police and the morgue need to provide me with answers. They owe it to me, they owe it to my family, and they owe it to the memory of my son,” Olamilekan demanded.
The family, seeking transparency and accountability, has taken legal action. Through their lawyer, Olalekan Matti, they have written a letter to the Medical Director of the hospital, demanding details about the mass burial. The letter requests critical information, such as the date of the mass burial, the location of the mass grave, and any other relevant details about the burial process. The letter states:
“As you are aware, the case surrounding the death of the accused is subject to and pending and still under investigation so our client was shocked when he got the news that the deceased was buried prematurely in a mass grave. Our client was not informed that the deceased was already buried as we were hoping that an autopsy would be done on the deceased before the corpse was released back to the family members.”
The family’s request emphasizes the need for answers and transparency, particularly as the investigation into Mubarak’s death remains open. The family hopes to receive the information within seven days, and their lawyer has expressed their appreciation for any cooperation the hospital might offer.
Lack of Response from Hospital and Authorities
Despite their formal request, as of the latest update, the family has yet to receive any response from the hospital. The lapse in communication has only added to their frustration and grief.
Meanwhile, efforts to reach the spokesperson for the Ministry of Health, Tunbosun Ogunbanwo, have been unsuccessful. Calls and text messages to his phone went unanswered, leaving the family in the dark about the official response to their demand for information.
A Community Grieves and Demands Justice
The disappearance of Mubarak’s body has sparked outrage within the local community, as well as among those who have been following the case. Many are calling for justice and for authorities to ensure that such an event never happens again. The family’s ordeal highlights the need for transparency, respect for the deceased, and justice for those affected by police violence.
For Olamilekan and his family, the loss of Mubarak was already a tragedy. However, the disappearance of his body has intensified their grief and left them questioning the integrity of both the police investigation and the mortuary’s handling of their son’s remains.
As they continue to seek answers, the family hopes that their fight for justice will bring not only closure but also a sense of accountability for the tragic death of a young boy whose life was taken far too soon.