Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s ‘war on drugs’

Former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte Arrested in Manila on ICC Warrant frontpage news

Former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte was arrested on Tuesday in Manila by authorities acting on an International Criminal Court (ICC) warrant. The 79-year-old ex-leader faces charges of “the crime against humanity of murder” over his controversial and bloody war on drugs, which human rights groups claim led to the deaths of tens of thousands of mostly poor individuals.

Duterte’s crackdown on illegal drugs, which began shortly after he took office in 2016, was marked by widespread allegations of extrajudicial killings carried out by law enforcement officers and vigilantes. While Duterte maintained that the campaign was necessary to curb crime and prevent the Philippines from becoming a narco-state, international observers and local advocacy groups have long criticized the operation for its brutality and lack of due process.

Interpol Confirms Arrest Following ICC Warrant

The Philippine presidential palace issued a statement confirming the arrest, stating, “Early in the morning, Interpol Manila received the official copy of the warrant of arrest from the ICC. As of now, he is under the custody of authorities.”

The statement further assured that “the former president and his group are in good health and are being checked by government doctors.”

Despite the formal announcement, Duterte’s former chief legal counsel, Salvador Panelo, has condemned the arrest as “unlawful.” Panelo alleged that Duterte’s legal representatives were not allowed access to him at the airport and that authorities failed to present a hard copy of the ICC warrant before detaining him.

However, human rights organizations and groups representing families of those killed during Duterte’s war on drugs have welcomed the arrest. Rubilyn Litao, a coordinator for the advocacy group Rise Up for Life and for Rights, described it as a “very welcome development.”

“The mothers whose husbands and children were killed because of the drug war are very happy because they have been waiting for this for a very long time,” Litao said.

Calls for Duterte’s Immediate Transfer to ICC

Following the arrest, Human Rights Watch urged the Philippine government, led by President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., to swiftly extradite Duterte to the ICC.

“This arrest is a critical step for accountability in the Philippines,” the rights group stated, adding that Duterte’s detention should be followed by his immediate transfer to The Hague, where the ICC is based.

Duterte’s arrest marks a significant milestone in the long-running efforts to hold him accountable for the thousands of deaths that occurred during his anti-drug campaign. It also places President Marcos Jr. in a delicate position, as he has previously signaled reluctance to cooperate with the ICC’s investigation.

A Long and Controversial Road to Accountability

Duterte’s detention at Manila’s international airport followed his return from a brief trip to Hong Kong. Addressing overseas Filipino workers in Hong Kong just two days earlier, Duterte dismissed the ICC’s probe, referring to its investigators in derogatory terms. However, he also acknowledged that he was prepared for any consequences.

“If an arrest is my fate, then so be it,” he reportedly told his supporters.

Duterte’s legal troubles with the ICC stem from his tenure as president, during which he actively encouraged police to shoot suspected drug offenders. His directive was widely interpreted as a green light for extrajudicial killings. Although Philippine authorities have insisted that most of those killed in drug-related operations were armed and posed a threat to officers, human rights groups have provided evidence contradicting these claims.

The ICC formally launched an inquiry into Duterte’s anti-drug campaign in September 2021. However, the investigation was temporarily suspended two months later when the Philippine government claimed it was conducting its own internal review of cases involving police operations that led to civilian deaths.

Despite Manila’s objections, a five-judge panel ruled in July 2023 that the ICC retained jurisdiction over the killings, which occurred both before and after the Philippines formally withdrew from the tribunal in 2019. The court’s decision allowed the investigation to proceed, setting the stage for Duterte’s eventual arrest.

Marcos Administration’s Reluctance to Cooperate

Since taking office, President Marcos Jr. has repeatedly stated that his government would not participate in the ICC’s investigation, arguing that Philippine authorities are capable of handling the cases domestically. However, his administration has also acknowledged that it is legally bound to cooperate with international law enforcement requests.

Undersecretary of the Presidential Communications Office, Claire Castro, stated on Sunday that if Interpol were to request assistance, “the government is obliged to follow.”

Duterte remains a deeply polarizing figure in Philippine politics. While international human rights organizations view him as a leader responsible for large-scale human rights abuses, he continues to enjoy widespread domestic support. Many Filipinos believe that his tough stance on crime helped improve security in the country.

His arrest also comes at a politically sensitive time. Duterte is seeking to reclaim his former position as mayor of Davao City in the upcoming midterm elections scheduled for May 2025. His detention could impact the political landscape and influence voter sentiment leading up to the elections.

Legal Challenges and Potential Outcomes

Despite the arrest, Duterte’s legal team is expected to challenge the ICC’s jurisdiction, arguing that the Philippines is no longer a member of the court. However, legal experts have pointed out that the ICC retains the authority to investigate crimes committed while the country was still a party to the Rome Statute, which governs the court.

At the local level, only a handful of cases related to the drug war have been prosecuted, and just nine police officers have been convicted for the killings of alleged drug suspects. Critics argue that this highlights the failure of the Philippine justice system to hold high-ranking officials accountable, reinforcing the necessity of the ICC’s intervention.

Duterte himself has remained defiant throughout the legal process. When questioned during a Philippine Senate probe in October 2024, he refused to express remorse, stating: “I offer no apologies, no excuses. I did what I had to do, and whether or not you believe it, I did it for my country.”

Global and Domestic Reactions to Duterte’s Arrest

The international community has been closely monitoring developments surrounding Duterte’s arrest. Several foreign governments and international organizations have reiterated their support for the ICC’s efforts to bring justice to the victims of the drug war.

In the Philippines, Duterte’s loyalists have begun mobilizing, with protests expected to take place in Davao City and other regions where he remains popular. His daughter, Sara Duterte, who serves as the country’s vice president, has yet to issue a formal statement on the matter, but political analysts speculate that the arrest could deepen divisions within the administration.

As the legal proceedings unfold, all eyes will be on whether the Philippine government will comply with international obligations and transfer Duterte to ICC custody. The outcome of this case could set a precedent for how the international justice system addresses crimes committed by former heads of state.

For now, Duterte remains in police custody, awaiting further legal proceedings. His arrest marks a significant turning point in the fight for accountability, but the road to justice for the victims of his drug war is far from over.

Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending Posts